Creating Lean Cells
Based on the book "Creating Continuous Flow" by Mike Rother and Rick Harris, published and available through the Lean Enterprise Institute.
Continuous flow is the most effective and efficient way to deliver any good or service for a customer. The focus is on aggressively removing process waste. The participant will be taught through hands-on training methods how to use the various techniques to create flow such as operator balancing, machine balancing, cell layouts, workplace organization, standard work, and implementation. This is the true cell design class for the lean practitioner.
- Introduce value stream mapping in a hands-on manner.
- Develop the ability to "see the flow"
- Create future state value streams with less waste
- Create an implementation plan to achieve the future state.
What Participants Say
"Now we really know how to design a lean cell!"
"This will allow us to give our existing cells a tune up!"
The workshop facilitator spends a total of 5 days at the sponsoring company. The first half-day is for classroom training on the principles of 3P. The selected product and data will be reviewed for its current state of flow, along with the scope of the week and goals to be obtained. The facilitator will then break the group up into teams and begin their assignments. The remaining days will be spent on the shop floor creating a live simulation of the current state and future state of the new product. Each day the facilitator will review with the group what they done well, what they have learned, and what they should work on next. The session will end with a live presentation to management demonstrating how the new product will flow in production once it is introduced.
The workshop facilitator spends a total of 3.5 days at the sponsoring company. The first half-day is for class preparation, and selection of a „live? project to work on from the future state value stream map. The workshop facilitator and the value stream manager complete this preparation work. The remaining days are spent with the participants facilitating the workshop.
- Half-Day - Preparation: Workshop Facilitator and Value Stream Manager. Select products and area to use in class, review data.
- Getting Started
- What is the Work?
- Hands-on Exercise: Current State & Identifying and Timing Work Elements
- Machines, Material, and Layout for Flow
- Distributing the Work
- Hands-on Exercise: Designing a Future State Flow
- Connecting to the Customer and Regulating Flow
- Implementation, Sustaining, Improving
- Hands-on Exercise: Starting the Implementation Plan Conclusion
About Our Instructors
The Duggan team is comprised of qualified individuals with industrial, management, and executive experience. Each member goes through an intensive “train-the-trainer” program teaching the standard work required to help companies achieve operational excellence. Learn more>